Do I have to get Obamacare in Tennessee? No, you do not have to get Obamacare in Tennessee. You won’t be thrown in jail if you’re without health insurance but you will be charged a penalty if not enrolled by March 31, 2014.
This penalty is a tax penalty that will be taken out when you file your 2015 taxes when you have to report whether or not you enrolled by the 2014 deadline.
The federal government has mandated what qualifies as coverage, if you have the following types of coverage you won’t be charged the penalty fee:
- An individual insurance plan, purchased on your own or through healthcare.gov
- A plan provided by your employer
- Medicare, Medicaid, or coverage under the Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP)
- Coverage under a veteran’s health care program
- Coverage through the Peace Corps
If you have vision, dental, worker’s comp, or coverage that is limited to a specific condition than you don’t have coverage that meets the minimum requirements under the Affordable Care Act.
In the event that you are not enrolled by the March 31, 2014 deadline and face paying the penalty fee, here’s what you need to know. You’ll have to pay a penalty of $95 per adult plus $47.50 per child or 1% of your household income, whichever is greater. The fee will increase annually until you purchase coverage.
The good news is there are exemptions to the penalty. The following are valid exemptions:
- You are uninsured for fewer than three months of the year.
- You prove that you can’t afford coverage
- You don’t have to file a federal income tax because your income is too low
- You qualify for Medicaid under the new income limits established by the Affordable Care Act
- You are a member of a federally recognized Indian tribe
- You are a member of a health care sharing ministry
- You are a member of a recognized religion that objects to health insurance
- You are in the United States illegally
- You are incarcerated
If you have any questions about obtaining health insurance under the Affordable Care Act, please contact HealthTN.com or call us toll free at 888-599-3001. Our local agents are here to help you get the best coverage that fits your budget.